Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Douglas Lake Day - JULY 3,2006

JULY 3,2006

On vacation but still on the computer. I thought it would just be Steve glued to the laptop. At least we won't have it next week when we go to Mexico. Today we're at Douglas Lake at Barb and Dave's. A storm is about to come through today. This is where I've grown up spending my summers from the days with the Travis side of the family vacationing on Burt Lake. It's still a great time to come up here, but as a kid you tend to enjoy things more. Or you get picked on more by the grown ups. Like the time uncle Dave and Jeff told Nicole and a few friends of ours that they were going to take us on a boat ride. They strapped on the old school May West orange life jackets around our necks and motored us out, I'd say a quarter of a mile from shore. Then they launched all four of us off the boat and said "You're swimming back." as they sped away. We started swiming and I thought I'd be sneaky by unclasping my life jacket and whining that mine was broken. As Dave and Jeff came back for me and pulled me out, I winked at Nicole. Suddenly the fixed my life jacket and threw me back in. So much for fooling them.

Okay, I just realized I can't figure out what day it is. I thought it was Sunday, but I guess it's monday. Not at work, that's all that matters. Steve and I spent Saturday in Harbor Springs, the rich folk town. It's an amazing place. Basically the Hamptons in Michigan. Lots and lots of money and snobby people, but still a cool town nonetheless. Sometimes celebrities like Bob Segar, Tim Allen, or Anne Hache show up on their yachts for dinner at the Pier. We went there for drinks to listen to John Lamb but it was really crowded with the holiday weekend. Yesterday, Sunday, Dave taught Steve and I how to sail the sunfish by ourselves. I had years ago, but needed a refesher course. I did super until coming back to the house where I took out the dock and everyone around heard my "oh shit." Last night we went to Vivio's for the world's best pizza in Indian River, MI. Old tradition and one of the bests. We had a huge group with Barb, Dave, Beth, Allie, Shawna, Trent, my dad and Jane. We found out that Allie and Shawna went to school with the girl, Whitney Cerak, who survived an auto accident, but was mistaken for another girl named Laura. Allie went to Whitney's funeral before they found out she was alive. She said it was really weird.

Today, Monday, Dave had the policed called on his ass. We were going to launch the ski boat at the DLB and as we were finally in the water, we noticed a cop car pulled in to talk to barb. Finally he left and barb came over and said that Dave didn't pay for gas he put in the boat at the gas station. The girl working there saw him pull away and she called 911. Geez. Well before the cops got to us, the owner of the station said he knew it was Dave and said he'd call him later, but the cops still showed up. We finally got a little skiing in before the first round of rain came. Sammy also fell off the dock 2wice already today. Once trying to jump off the boat as she missed the dock. And the second time she was running too fast and bumped Steve's leg as she fell off the side.

Tomorrow we head up to my Dad's in the UP. It should be interesting. I've spent plenty of time up there on Drummond Island when we had our house on the cliff over looking the islands and part of Canada. We also stayed at Dr. Chappell's house in Hessel MI. Both those places had a fair population, and was never too boring. I made some great friends on the island. So I'm wondering how this new place will measure up. Sounds like a very isolated cabin on a small lake. It'll be fun if we don't get eaten by the bear that lives in the woods.

Steve and Dave are floating the shore station out to the end of the dock, so I suppose I'd better go out and see if there is anything I can do. Barb and Allie are just chillin on the hammocks. And I'm here on the computer waiting for the next storm to blown in. We should be out tubin' with Super Dave. I don't want to get stuck in another situation of being on the water during a thunderstorm. Tiff and Matt left Steve and I on a beach at Indian Lake a few years ago on the 4th of July while they went out jet skiing on their own. The police came to the beach and warned everyone to leave because of a huge storm coming in. We started freaking out wondering where they were! It started pouring as they sped up and we hopped on the jet skis with them and gunned it back to the house miles away. There was lightning everywhere. Not exactly the fun we were looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment