Wednesday, November 3, 2010

TRAIN - AUG 16, 2006

AUG 16, 2006

I think I'm somewhere around my 80th concert by now. Last night's show easily ranks up among the best of the best. Tiffany went with me to see Train in Kettering, OH last night. We've both seen them a few times before, but last night was simply amazing. Somehow I lucked out on Ticketmaster in May when I ordered tickets again, after just seeing them in Columbus. 2nd row, center. About 5 people had it better than us. We got there right at 8pm when Toby Lightman was opening. It started pouring and lightning. We decided to wait in the car until it was time for Train. A few minutes before 9pm, we walked up to the gates. Nobody was even there to check tickets or bags. Earlier I was trying to figure out how to sneak my camera in without getting caught. I had a good plan, but didn't even need it. The Fraze doesn't allow cameras, which pisses me off when the venue sets the rules. Most bands don't care. When we got there, people were huddled under the stage shelter or in the back of the pavillion. Everyone was drenched except for us. We were smart. Praying that the show wouldn't get cancelled, we found our seats up front. It was crazy how close they were. Sometimes even the 2nd row can be a little ways away from the stage if there is a walk way or bouncers, but instead we were about 4 feet from the stage. Train came out and we felt like we were looking up Pat Monahan's nose because we were so close! Nobody was around to see my camera, so I kept it out the whole time. I would've been devastated to walk away from that show without any pictures. I managed to get quite a few. It was a little hard with little man Pat dancing all over the stage. 4'11" Tiffany would've probably crushed him. The music was amazing. Of course they played all their hits, like Drops of Jupiter, Calling All Angels, Get To Me, Meet Virginia, When I Look to The Sky, Free, Cab, and crowd favorites She's on Fire and Save the Day...."I don't want to be your superman, i just want to be your man," starts out accapella as Pat does his flying superman move and goes into the full lyrics. "I don't want to be your superman, I just want to be your man and I'll be super baby." During the middle of this song, he brings up a woman to sing romanticly to. It must have been fate for the woman he chose since she had on a bling shirt that said "I'll Be Super Baby." Her daughter was even brought up on stage by Pat earlier to sing She's On Fire with him. One of the other crowd favorites is Get To Me with Pat's outstanding vocals towards the end. "Can I hear you say Yeah Yeah...yeah yeah...Hell Yeah...hell yeah...Oh Yeah...oh yeah...Whoo Yeah...whoo yeah..." I don't think Tiff or I have taken the repeat of this track on the Alive at Last album yet today.

One of the surpise favorites of the evening for me was the accoustic version of Hopeless. It's one of my favorites and the first time I've heard them play it. I manged to get a decent video of this. Surprisingly one of the things I looked forward to were the covers. They do a brilliant cover of a Zeppellin song, which I can't think of the name now. It gives you chills. And my favorite is the final encore of Aerosmith's Dream On. I've seen Aerosmith twice, and it has always been my favorite at their shows. Train can rock it like no other. Pat easily pulls off Steven Tyler or Paul McCartney without a hitch. And then the night unfortunately comes to an end. If Tiff didn't have to get up so early, we would have stuck aroud like crazy groupies waiting for a picture or autographs. It was hard to walk back to the car at the Fraze, knowing the last time I was there, we struck gold to spend the next 4 hours at Howie Day's after party. Which reminds me, I never got around to finishing my blog for those long stories.

Holy shit, I don't have any more concerts scheduled. What am I ever going to do? Something better come up in a month or too. Sadly this is the end of Train's tour in the midwest. Tiff, I'm bummed you didn't go with us to the Columbus show. Then we could have planned on the Indy and Cleveland shows this month too. Ouch, that would get expensive. We'd have to get some contacts to put us on the guest list or bring us in backstage. It's worked before, why not again?

Here are some photos, assuming they will show up in my blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment