Thursday, November 4, 2010

Moving Onward

JUNE 20, 2007
It has been a tough week trying to determine where to go. I'm still not sure I made the right decision but I hope I learn to adjust. You can weigh the pros and cons but how do you ever know your scale is working?

Last month I took a new position within Bath & Body Works, moving from the Brand team to the Seasonal team. It seemed like a really great opportunity with more room to grow. After 4 years on the brand team, I never really got anywhere. Most likely because I was in Columbus and the rest of the team was in New York. With no desire to move to NY, I was just left here to do nothing. Finally I moved over to the other team. It seemed like such a great change. I would be working with my best friend since grade school, designing fashion accessories, and traveling to Hong Kong for development trips. The experience would be great, but I felt like I would have to dedicate all of my time to the job. I had been working on developing my own business, but since changing positions, I was burnt out and didn't really feel like working when I got home. Plus, I haven't been making enough money to save for growing my business. I quickly learned how much stress and time would be involved with my new position and I realized that this company did not pay me anywhere near enough to deal with it. A close friend of mine had asked me to come work for her as a designer at American Signature Inc. the same week I accepted the new position at BBW. I told her I would have taken it if I hadn't made the change, but she was a week too late. Besides, I was looking forward to my new position. Soon after, another friend from work filled the position and it made me wonder why I didn't take it, but there was still another position open for a graphic designer.

So last Wednesday I went to interview with ASI. Everything went well and my friend called the next day to offer me the job for the rate I asked for. On Friday morning I notified my boss that I would be leaving in 2 weeks. Once the VP was notified, I was called in to his office. He wanted to give me a counter offer, not even knowing what the offer was I was presented. I was hoping they would give me an actual number so I could see what they felt it was worth to keep me. Last year when I quit as a consultant, the offer I was presented to be hired as an associate was still not competitive but when I questioned it I was told I wasn't worth anymore. Not having another job lined up at the time, I decided to take it. Flash forward one year later, I move over to a new position as a lateral title move, but given no salary change. So last Friday I endured the speech that was supposed to convince me to stay. I was questioned on why I would leave this company to go work for a company that sells cheap furniture (which by the way they are trying build a more respected brand for which they have hired new designers to re brand their image). I said that if this company (BBW) was so much bigger and better, than why is it that the smaller less prestigious companies can pay their employees better? I don't think I really got an answer, nor did I expect to. But that's the way corporate works. I also said as far as the creative work, I would prefer to work here, however I am willing to sacrifice that for less stress and more money. My goal is to own my own successful business someday because this place taught me that I don't want to work for corporate my whole life. I said I would take the weekend to think about changing my mind. I found myself really doubting my decision, but eventually I realized the best thing for me was to leave. If I chose to stay and take a huge pay increase, I would be afraid of many things. They could treat me like shit and work me to death because I would be getting paid much more than I was supposed to be paid. Or I could be one of the first to be let go if they have budget cuts. Or they could look for a replacement and then let me go because they think I might be looking again. Most everyone I've ever talked to say it's always best just to take the other job rather than play the game of who will pay the most. On Monday morning I told them it would be best for me to leave, and I believe I managed to do so without burning any bridges in case I ever want to cross back over. It was a great experience working for Limited Brands, I just was ready to move up rather than be stuck at the same rate I was getting since graduating from College while taking on more responsibilities.

Next week marks my 4 years here at BBW and my last day. It's like I'm graduating all over again. I guess good mile markers come in 4s. 4 years of high school and traditionally 4 years of college. Now 4 years of BBW. I'm sad to leave my friends behind, but I know it's time to move on. I'm excited in many ways and look forward to a new future.

No comments:

Post a Comment